[DISCORD SUX BALLZ!!!] ||| IZ THAR ANOTHA WAE?!?

L0L NERDZ TALK ABOUT COMPUT0RZ!!1!
jhris

[DISCORD SUX BALLZ!!!] ||| IZ THAR ANOTHA WAE?!?

Post by jhris »

DISCORD SUX BALLZ!!!

We all know that Discord sux ballz. Here are some reasons why it sux ballz:
  1. [money] Proprietary [money]
  2. [money] Overpriced "Nitro" [money]
  3. You have to follow THEIR rules [alien]
  4. They're watching you at all times... [alien] [alien] [alien]
  5. It's almost TOO easy to join a community...
    We want people that truly care about the community.
    No influx of new people DOES NOT EQUAL community death.
(feel free to add more reasons in the replies :P )

WHADDA WE DO???

We are already moving in the direction of a Discord-less community.

For one, this forum is a step in the right direction. I urge people to make posts on here about whatever they want. Active discussion is what keeps a community alive, not new (and usually careless) members that bloat it.

UMM OKAY... IS THAT IT??

NO!!!

I call for an IRC server, where most of our everyday talk will be. The JBMod Discord server is just a glorified IRC server.
Include important channels like #announcements, #rules
Include general channels like #talk, #memes, #help
Include specific channels like #play-together (to find others to play with), #shill (to post and shill out your creations)
More complex help information, tutorials, work-arounds, suggestions, and complete showoffs of creations will go on this forum.

The big pluses of having our own IRC server:
  1. Open-source [awesome]
  2. Free!!! [awesome]
  3. Whatever rules we want [awesome] [alien] [anglerfishie]
  4. Complete privacy [awesome]
  5. Requires some know-how to join, which gatekeeps small children and careless would-be members. [jbmodandroids]
Honourable mentions:
  • Matrix (Element, Synapse/Dendrite)
  • Bulletin Board System (BBS) ooh how vintage! :ugeek:
  • Imageboard (4chan/soyjak.party comes to mind)
Besides this forum, we also have lmao.ovh which serves as an file upload service and (relt)booru service.
ImageImageImageImage
NoCaps
Steam: nocapss

Re: [DISCORD SUX BALLZ!!!] ||| IZ THAR ANOTHA WAE?!?

Post by NoCaps »

jhris wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:06 am I call for an IRC server, where most of our everyday talk will be. The JBMod Discord server is just a glorified IRC server.
this entire post is the truest thing ive ever read on this forum. or just the entire internet to be honest.
i started this forum because i just hate how discord is in general (this is why i use skype still honestly) and to see this post shows that all my work hasnt gone to waste. i dont know the specifics of hosting an IRC server ( i personally dont know how to do it ) but im sure it can somehow be figured out. i believe one of the original problems when discussing an irc server in the discord (vomit emoji.. remind me to make one!) was image hosting. i personally probably wouldn't have to deal with this since i have my own web hosting. but for other people this might be a problem, because obviously you can't just hotlink images from other sites. hotlinking images from ANYWHERE is dangerous really, unless it's your own site, because you never know when stuff will disappear (discord cdn, imgur, photobucket, etc). at one point imgur was deleting all inactive users' images, and somethingawful archived like several terabytes i think. we'd need to figure out a way to host images to embed safely without them ever getting lost to time. but without images in the equation, i think IRC is a great idea.
NoCaps

Post by NoCaps »

Oh i stickied this too because it's true as fuck [jbguy]
jhris

Post by jhris »

NoCaps wrote:
jhris wrote:I call for an IRC server, where most of our everyday talk will be. The JBMod Discord server is just a glorified IRC server.
i dont know the specifics of hosting an IRC server ( i personally dont know how to do it ) . . . i believe one of the original problems when discussing an irc server in the discord . . . was image hosting. . . . hotlinking images from ANYWHERE is dangerous really, unless it's your own site . . . we'd need to figure out a way to host images to embed safely without them ever getting lost to time. but without images in the equation, i think IRC is a great idea.
Check out this amazing website for the basics on self-hosting ur stuff: https://landchad.net (click on the IRC button!)

I've been using penile.lmao.ovh for hosting the blinkies in my signature (sorry that it's not reltposting). In the future, I want to get a network-attached storage (NAS) so I can create my own file upload service and cloud. I don't know if it's to be private or not. If it's gonna be public... there's gonna be lots of content checking. But mainly, no illegal stuff (piracy is a maybe). But basically, we would have to make a dedicated server for the website and probably another dedicated server (FTP??? :ugeek: ) for the storage of anything that isn't text. We can set a timer so when it goes off, it will archive the old stuff, but that is probably YEARS later as this forum is still a fetus.

In summary, self-hosting IRC is possible. There are many open-source software solutions for that (search up "IRCd" or "IRC daemon").
For hosting anything that isn't text, I'm still not sure. It would have to be a dedicated server attached to some hard drives (i.e. a NAS).
Take it slow. I think our main priorities are 1) IRC server 2) user-generated content 3) events+jams to encourage user-generated content
ImageImageImageImage
NoCaps

Post by NoCaps »

jhris wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:58 am I've been using penile.lmao.ovh
It's unrelated to the thread but I just wanna let you know you're doing links wrong. It should be like this:
[ url=https://blah.blah]TextGoesHere[/url] or if its just a simpler link without custom text, it'd be:
[ url]https://zombo.com[/url]